The Stove is seeking a writer in residence to contribute to a three year project entitled Lowland.Lowland is a 3-year project conceived and delivered by the Stove Network. It seeks to place writers at the core of the Stove’s and local community’s activities to reflect and celebrate a town in a transitional phase of its history. Lowland will generate a contemporary narrative of place, by interacting with and responding to current activity in the town, through the written word. Public engagement with literary activity in the town and creative writing in general will be increased and Lowland will highlight new perspectives of Dumfries through the lens of the written word.
In 2018 the Lowland project seeks to commission a writer in residence based* within the Stove’s building at 100 High Street for a period of 3 months (July to September) to:
- Engage with our communities and to run creative writing workshops for emerging writers (a minimum of three workshops, one of which is outreach with a local school or community group)
- Inspire and encourage participation in writing activities taking place throughout the region
- Engage with the Stove’s Brave New Words events and related literary activity.
- It is expected that the writer will have a regular presence at the Stove but it is not assumed they will work solely in the building.
- To maintain an online blog, published on the Stove Network website
- Work with the community and the Lead Artist of the Lowland project to create an original written response, in their chosen form, on the life of Dumfries’ town centre. (We are expecting the writer to gain inspiration through participating in the Stove’s varied programme, as well as connecting with our community partners)
Towards the end of the residency the writer will work with the Lead Artist of the project to develop a showcase of their work for the residency – the format for this presentation is open eg it could be printed, a work-in-progress performance or a temporary public artwork (eg pasted texts in public space etc).
Lowland will have an online and physical presence in Stove activities and Brave New Words events with the writer in residence maintaining an online blog on the Stove website and contributing to our Brave New Words open mic events.
For more information and how to apply please download here: Writer in Residence Lowland Opportunity Info